Dennis E. Egan
Dennis E. Egan is a director with the Popham Law Firm, P.C., specializing (since 1976) in trial work with a particular emphasis in employment law. He has been with Popham since 1985, and served as Managing Director in 1991, 1992 and 1993. Mr. Egan received his Bachelor of Journalism (B.J.) degree from the University of Missouri in Columbia in 1973, and his J.D. from the University of Missouri School of Law in 1976. He served for one year as Law Clerk to The Honorable Fred L. Henley, Supreme Court of Missouri, May, 1976 – May, 1977. He was a partner with Gage & Tucker, specializing in trial and appellate practice from June, 1977 – July, 1985.
Mr. Egan is a Certified Specialist in Civil Trial Advocacy, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1983. Every year since 1993, he has been listed in the publication “The Best Lawyers in America” by Woodward & White.
Mr. Egan has been lead trial counsel in approximately 130 cases, including 91 jury trials. Mr. Egan is a frequent presenter/lecturer at CLE seminars on various topics relating to litigation practice, and the preparation and trial of employment discrimination cases. Mr. Egan is a member of the National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA) and founded the Kansas City NELA Chapter. In 1997, he was also co-chairman of the National NELA Convention and has made numerous presentations at other annual National and Regional NELA Conventions.
In 1998, Mr. Egan was elected by the NELA membership body to serve a three-year term on the NELA Executive Board, and is now serving his third three-year term. Mr. Egan is a member of NELA, the American Association for Justice, Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys (MATA), and the Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association, where he has served as Chairman of the Civil Rights Committee, 1986-87; 1987-88.
Mr. Egan has been active in continuing legal education programs, including both lecturing and engaging in mock-trial demonstrations for attorneys and private citizens. The following recent examples are typical of his contributions:
- Minnesota Bar Association’s Upper Midwest Employment Law Institute, St Paul, Minnesota (April, 1998)
- “The Art of Direct and Cross Examination” – trial demonstration at AWL/UMKC seminar (March 1997)
- “Sexual Harassment” – UMKC-CLE (April, 1998)
- “Trial Skills for the Winning Edge” – UMKC-CLE (May 1995)
- “Winning Employment Law Cases” – UMKC-CLE (October 1994)
- “Anatomy of a Sexual Harassment Case” – UMKC-CLE; trial demonstration of a sexual harassment case (May, 1994)
- Presenter at Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys seminar (March 1994)
- “Personnel Law Update 1993″ – sponsored by the Council on Education in Management (March 1993)
- “Sex, Lies & Videotape” – trial demonstration of a sexual harassment case, sponsored by KCMBA (1992)
The inaugural 2018 ICON Awards were presented by Missouri Lawyers Weekly to 25 distinguished men and women attorneys age 60 and older in recognition of their exemplary careers and longstanding commitment to the Missouri legal community. Dennis E. Egan was one of 25 proud recipients.